Straw panel is a natural construction material composed of extruded wheat straw that is encased with recycled paper from all sides. Straw panel ensures a very good and healthy microclimate to a building via temperature and air humidity regulation and is a great sound insulator. The panels’ structure is dense and strong, hence all the furniture, electronic devices, pictures etc can be mounted on walls or ceiling using ordinary wood screws. No predrilling of holes or using dowels is necessary. Straw panel can be used in places that are not in direct contact with water. It is used for building walls, ceilings and floors in old and new houses. Straw panel can also be used in saunas and bathrooms. In wet rooms it is necessary to apply a layer of hydroisolation or moisture barrier prior to tilework, cladding or other finishes.
Straw panel is also an excellent material for additionally insulating old or new wooden frame and log houses since the material’s properties are very similar to wood. Straw panel works well with cellulose insulation. No vapor barrier is used in the outer walls, so the constructions are open for water vapor diffusion and can always dry out. Compared to widely used gypsum board constructions for additional insulation, building out of straw panel is less labor intensive and saves a lot of time on construction. More and more people have chosen straw panel for insulating their log houses, since it helps to retain the good natural microclimate of the house.
- The material is extruded (compressed at high temperature) wheat straw 98%, glue 0,5% and covering paper 1,5% (recycled kraft paper)
- Thickness: 38 mm and 58 mm
- Width: 58 mm panel – 120 cm or 80 cm and 38 mm panel – only 80cm
- Length: 2,4 or 2,7 m. NB! Upon ordering larger quantities the length can be chosen between 1,2 – 3,5 m;
- Weight 22-24 kg/m2 (58 mm panel) and 18-20 kg/m2 (38 mm panel)
The panel is produced in the EU and it has all the necessary sertification for it to be used in construction.
- Good thermal insulation and regulation of heat, because during production no fillers have been used that conduct cold or heat;
- The panel stores heat which grants a stable temperature for a longer time. Additionally the panel grants a smaller temperature fluctuation during summer (in smaller buildings);
- Can be used as a self-bearing wall construction;
- Good sound insulation properties - 58mm panel with finishing -35 dB;
- Air humidity regulation – during wet periods the panel absorbs excess humidity and during dry periods it releases the humidity into the rooms. Furthermore, no cracks are formed when drying out;
- The panel ensures the best heat and moisture regulation when finished with clay based plaster;
- Formaldehyde-free – it has no adhesive between the straw. The panel only has kraft paper glued on it, so it is also ecological;
- Suitable for people with allergies because there have been no reports of symptoms which are caused from many other building materials;
- The material is easy to saw, openings can easily be cut or edges can be cut into the right shape. It is easy to build cornices with irregulaar shape since the supporting frame does not have to be the same shape;
- The materials originality can be brought out with grinding down the paper or cutting the panel in half plane-wise. This reveals compressed straw with a distinctive and unique texture, which can be effectively used in interior design for decor or for improving the acoustics of a room;
- Compensates for the mistakes made during insulation works, meaning that the cold cannot get straight through the wall if the insulation material has been damaged during installation;
- The material can be easily installed, saving hours of work time for the builders;
- The use of straw panel prevents several building phases (erecting a framework, installing insulation, installing gypsum board on both sides). The panels when put in place are self-supporting, sound insulating and ready for finishing works.
POSSIBILITIES OF USE
- Construction of dwellings (single homes, semi-detached houses, terraced houses, apartment buildings);
- Construction of small houses (summerhouses, garden houses, ancillary bulidings such as saunas, sheds, garages);
- Construction of public buildings (kindergartens, schools, government buildings, youth centers);
- Construction of sound studios;
- Renovation of old buildings;
- Improving the sound insulation of existing walls, ceilings and floors;
- Additional insulation of buildings;
- Building new or improving existing walls, ceilings and floors.
- Exterior finishing – moisture barrier, weatherproof primer + cladding(boarding), plaster or stone facade;
- Interior finishing – water-based paints, wallpaper, plaster, ceramic tiles, parquet or other solutions.
Straw panel does not set significant restrictions to interior or exterior finishing materials. It is possible to use almost all the same materials that could be used with alternative construction types. For best results it is recommended to use materials which have a lower water vapor diffusion coefficient so that the characteristic properties of straw panel would not be affected or diminished.
THE PRICE OF STRAW PANEL IN FINLAND:
58mm panel 20 eur/m² +VAT
38mm panel 19 eur/m² +VAT
Considerable discount on quantities larger than 300m² – Feel free to ask for a quotation!